Obtain official transcript(s) from your regionally accredited college or university:
Obtain official transcript(s) from your regionally accredited college or university, or ACT®. https://gace.ets.org/
Pass GACE® Content Assessment (all parts) if required for path entry to meet program
requirements. A passing score at the Professional Level on the GACE Content Assessment is required for program completion:
- To determine what qualifies as a passing score, please see GACE® content assessment requirement;
- To learn more about GACE® Content Assessments, please visit www.gace.ets.org
- Early Childhood Education Candidates who are teachers of record must have a passing score on the GACE® Early Childhood Education Content Assessment. Because there is no degree which is a related field to ECE, Candidates must expect to have instruction that supplements the basic path and meets the content standards;
- Special Education Candidates who are teachers of record must have:
- Early Childhood Education level: A passing score on the GACE® Special Education Mathematics and Science and/or Special Education Reading, English Language Arts, and Social Studies, OR the GACE® Early Childhood Education assessment;
- Middle Grades level: A passing score on the appropriate GACE® Content Assessment or a passing score on the GACE® Special Education Mathematics and Science and/or Special Education Reading, English Language Arts, and Social Studies;
- Secondary level: A passing score on the appropriate GACE® Content Assessment.
- Because there is no degree which is a related field to Special Education, Candidates must expect to have instruction that supplements the basic path and meets the content standards
Secure a job offer as a teacher with a Local School System:
- Determine the teaching field, the grade level, and the school systems which interest you;
- Access the website of the school system(s) where you are interested in employment to determine the process for employment and locate that system’s GaTAPP Provider(s);
- Access the website of the local GaTAPP provider (The provider may be the local school system or the Regional Educational Service Agency [RESA] or its association/organization) to determine its process for accepting GaTAPP Candidates;;
- PROGRAM PROVIDERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR SECURING CANDIDATE TEACHING POSITIONS;
- Create a resume that includes, in addition to education and professional experiences, other experiences working with young people such as camp counselor, local recreation center coach, etc. if applicable;
- Develop a cover letter that states your eligibility and/or interest in the GaTAPP program;
- Visit www.TeachGeorgia.org for a listing of available statewide job openings;
- Apply for the teaching position you are seeking. School systems are familiar with GaTAPP and some hire GaTAPP Candidates right away. Other systems may have the practice of hiring fully certified teachers first. Some school systems hire all year long;
- Answer truthfully and completely all questions regarding your background and history. If you are unsure, ask the school system or GaTAPP for clarification;
- Please practice patience and understanding. Pursuing a teaching position can be very much like seeking employment in the corporate world or any other position outside education. The employer and Candidate are both seeking the right fit.
Obtain a Georgia Criminal History Report. (Often the employing school system will take care of this step. Check with the employing system or GaTAPP Provider for direction.)
Work with your employing school and/or school system administrator to contact a program provider for program participation information:
- Often the employing school system will work with you and the program provider to ensure that you are in a program; ultimately, it is up to you to be sure that your certification needs are met.*
* Please note that all applicants are not selected for program consideration. The Georgia Professional Standards Commission develops the standards for education preparation programs and approves program providers. GaPSC does not select GaTAPP Candidates nor intervene in the operation of the programs as long as the program provider is meeting Georgia Standards for the Approval of Educator Preparation Provider and Educator Preparation Programs. Selection of GaTAPP Candidates is determined by program providers. If you are selected for GaTAPP consideration, a GaTAPP program provider representative will contact you with further instructions/details. Please be patient during the selection process. Teachers are often hired after the school begins in the fall.
Best wishes on your GaTAPP journey!