Georgia Law (O.C.G.A 50-36-1) requires all applicants for state certification to verify that they are lawfully present in the United States.
Under this law, all individuals issued a certificate/license by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission on or after July 1, 2013, must submit to the GaPSC completed Verification of Lawful Presence (VLP)
documentation. This documentation includes:
- The completed VLP form; AND
- The completed and notarized Affidavit; AND
- A copy of the ID used in completing the Affidavit and presented to the notary for validation.
If you are a U.S. citizen, the Verification of Lawful Presence (VLP) documentation is required only 1 time throughout the teaching career.
If you are not a U.S. citizen, new VLP documentation is required with EVERY certification transaction, UNLESS lawful presence was verified by the GaPSC within 180 days of the date of the new certification transaction request.
Please read and follow these important instructions. Failure to provide all 3 components correctly will result in an application being put on hold until the accurate documents are received and processed.
Completing the VLP Form:
Enter your information in the top portion of the form and print out the form and affidavit.
Completing the notarized Affidavit:
- Different citizenship statuses require different forms of identification, as follows.
PLEASE NOTE: you cannot qualify for multiple citizenship statuses at the same time.
- If you are a U.S. citizen, you must initial/select (1) only on the Affidavit AND submit a copy (front and back) of any ONE of the following:
- If you are a legal permanent resident of the U.S., you must initial/select (2) only on the Affidavit AND submit a copy of:
- An unexpired United States Permanent Resident Card (front and back)
- If you are a qualified alien or non-immigrant under the Federal Immigration and Nationality Act, you must initial/select
(3) only on the Affidavit, enter your alien number AND submit a copy (front and back) of ONE of the following:
- An unexpired work authorization card
- I-94 documentation reflecting the I-94 number and expiration date AND a valid foreign passport
- A valid Certificate of Eligibility reflecting your SEVIS number AND a valid foreign passport
- Complete the line asking for which form of ID (from above) you are using.
- STOP – PLEASE MAKE SURE ONLY 1 OUT OF THE 3 CITIZEN STATUS OPTIONS HAS BEEN CHECKED OFF ON THE AFFIDAVIT.
- Take the Affidavit and your chosen ID (from above)to a notary. Do not sign until you have shown the notary your ID.
Submitting the Required Documents:
After being notarized, the VLP FORM, THE AFFIDAVIT AND A COPY (front and back) OF THE ID you used in completing the Affidavit may be scanned and uploaded through your MyPSC account.
They may also be submitted electronically by an employing Georgia Local Unit of Administration (LUA) or Educator Preparation Provider (EPP).
To download the Verification of Lawful Presence and other forms, please visit the
Failure to provide all 3 components correctly will result in an application being put on hold until the accurate documents are received and processed.