Teaching certificates are issued to educators who are prepared to teach a specific subject matter offered as part of the school curriculum. Each teaching field is assigned a grade range for which it is applicable.
Becoming Certified in a Teaching Field
If you are a Georgia educator interested in adding a teaching field to your certificate, please see Add a Certificate Field
If you are certified to teach in another state or country and are interested in becoming certified to teach in Georgia, please see Educators Moving to Georgia
If you are currently enrolled in an educator preparation program and want to learn more about teaching certification, please see Educator Preparation Candidates
If you are not certified to teach in any state or country but are interested in becoming certified to teach in Georgia, please see Routes to Initial Certification
Teaching Fields Offered in Georgia
Below you will find all of the teaching fields in which the GaPSC offers certification. To learn more about a specific field, please read the appropriate Certification Rule
. To view the courses that may be taught by a teacher certified in a specific field, please see What courses can I teach?
Elementary Education (Birth – Grade 5)
- Birth through Kindergarten;
- Elementary Education (P-5); and
- Special Education General Curriculum / Elementary Education (P-5).
Middle Grades Education (Grades 4-8)
- Middle Grades Language Arts;
- Middle Grades Math;
- Middle Grades Reading;
- Middle Grades Science; and
- Middle Grades Social Science.
Secondary Education (Grades 6-12)
- Behavioral Science;
- Earth/Space Science;
- Political Science;
- Science; and
- Computer Science (P-12);
- Family and Consumer Sciences;
- Healthcare Science;
- Engineering and Technology (P-12); and
- Career and Technical Specializations.
Education Fields (Grades P-12)
- English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL);
- Health and Physical Education;
- Music; and
- Reading Specialist.
Special Education (Grades P-12)
- Special Education Adapted Curriculum;
- Behavior Disorders;
- Deaf Education;
- Special Education General Curriculum;
- Learning Disabilities;
- Physical and Health Disabilities;
- Special Education Preschool (Ages 3-5); and
- Visual Impairment.
Foreign Languages (Grades P-12)
- American Sign Language;
- Chinese (Mandarin);
- Greek (Classical);
- Turkish; and