Inspire. Motivate. Influence. Lead change. Foster innovation.
Georgia Teacher Academy for Preparation and Pedagogy, GaTAPP, is Georgia’s only alternative route to initial teacher certification.
Designed for those who have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher but have not yet completed a teacher preparation program, these programs
can be a good fit for career-changers as well as recent graduates from bachelor’s degree programs. GaTAPP programs provide opportunities
for candidates to develop and demonstrate competence in the professional roles for which they are preparing while supported by their own
Candidate Support Team. These preparation programs are designed to lead to an Educator Preparation Provider’s recommendation for
certification but not a degree.
Designed for individuals who:
- Wish to transition into teaching from another career path;
- Did not complete a teacher education program; and
- Have never held a professional teaching certificate.
- Exception: Educators wishing to add Elementary Education to an existing certificate may complete the One Year Elementary Education
Program through GaTAPP.
GaTAPP Provides Qualified Teachers for Georgia Classrooms:
GaTAPP Candidates meet the following requirements:
- Candidates have a major or its equivalent in the teaching field or a passing score
on the GACE content assessment;
- Candidates are employed by a regionally accredited local unit of administration (school district or private school) or an approved charter school,
accepted into a GaPSC approved Educator Preparation Program with an intense induction component, and hold a Georgia
Provisional certificate or Permit; and
- Candidates have intense and on-going coaching and support throughout the program.
Timeframe for Completion:
- At least one academic school year (two semesters that must include the beginning of a school year);
- No more than three years from date of entry;
- Most GaTAPP provider programs last from 18 months to 2 years (See
Provisional Candidate Requirements);
- Elementary Education and Special Education Candidates must complete additional instruction because there is no equivalent degree/major
outside the school of education.
- Individualized program based on Candidate Performance Assessment Data;
- Job-embedded Clinical Practice;
- Candidate Support Team comprised of:
- School-based Administrator
- School-based Mentor
- Provider Supervisor
- Content Specialist (May be dual role for existing member);
- Candidate Support Team members are trained on the Coaching Standards and GaTAPP Assessments.
GaTAPP Program Providers:
- Are reviewed and approved by the same process as all other Georgia educator preparation programs; and
- Meet the Georgia Standards for the Approval of Educator Preparation Providers and Educator Preparation Programs.
For specific entry and exit requirements, contact the Approved Provider in the area where you plan to teach.
Approved GaTAPP Providers
* The Georgia Professional Standards Commission develops the standards for educator preparation programs and approves program
providers. GaPSC does not select GaTAPP Candidates nor intervene in the operation of the programs as long as the program provider
is meeting Georgia Standards for the Approval of Educator Preparation Providers and Educator Preparation Programs. Selection of
GaTAPP Candidates is determined by program providers.