This tier is intended for educator candidates completing field experiences or student teaching in Georgia schools
as part of an in-state or out-of-state preparation program.
- Pass the
GACE Educator Ethics Assessment
(Test Code 360);
- Be admitted to an educator preparation program that leads to Induction certification in a teaching field;
- The preparation program provider must create a file for the educator candidate in the Traditional Program
Management System (TPMS) through their institution account the provider may request if not already held;
- The educator candidate must then claim the program through MyPSC;
- Have a successful criminal record check (conducted by the GaPSC);
the Pre-Service application will not be available in MyPSC unless the educator candidate claims their
program through MyPSC and passing scores for the GACE Educator Ethics Assessment are posted to the account.
For more information about the Pre-Service process, please see the
Candidate Guide to Applying for Pre-Service Certification
The Pre-Service certificate is valid for as many as 5 years, and may be extended if needed. It is invalidated upon program
completion, or if the candidate withdraws, transfers, or is removed from the program. A former candidate who re-enrolls in
an educator preparation program may be issued a new 5-year Pre-Service certificate upon a new application. A current
background check is required in this case.
- The Pre-Service certificate is not a professional educator certificate.
It allows the holder to participate in supervised field experience, clinical practice, student teaching,
or residency work in Georgia schools.
- Holding a Pre-Service certificate does not automatically lead to Induction educator
certification. Requirements for the Induction certificate may be
- Holding a Pre-Service certificate is not a pre-requisite to qualify for any other Georgia
certificate. If you have already completed the student teaching portion of an educator preparation program,
or if you will complete it outside of the state of Georgia, you need not apply for a Pre-Service
- Pre-Service certification is not required for those holding valid Provisional,
Permit, Waiver, Induction, or Professional certification. Those completing service field programs such
as School Counseling, or those completing Educational Leadership programs are also not issued Pre-Service
- The Pre-Service certificate is required even if the candidate is hired in a position in
which certification requirements are waived by the employer. Certification will be delayed for any
candidate who does not hold the proper certification during field experiences.