There are several routes you may take to obtain a Georgia teaching certificate in the field of Spanish.
If you hold a Georgia level 4 or higher renewable professional teaching certificate:
You may add the field of Spanish to your existing certificate by passing the GaPSC-approved content assessment in Spanish. Please click the tab above labeled “What tests do I need to take?” for more information.
If you hold a Georgia level 4 or higher Induction teaching certificate:
Your employing Georgia school or school system may request a Supplemental Induction Spanish certificate for you if you have passed the GaPSC-approved content assessment in Spanish. Please click the tab above labeled “What tests do I need to take?” for more information.
If you have never been professionally certified in GA but you hold a professional teaching certificate in another state in Spanish or a comparable field:
You may apply for initial Georgia certification through interstate reciprocity. If you have not passed an acceptable content assessment in this field, you may be required to pass the GaPSC-approved content assessment. Please submit your application materials in order to determine which additional requirements, if any, you will be required to fulfill to obtain Georgia certification in this field.
If you do not hold a professional teaching certificate in any state:
There are three ways you may obtain initial certification in Spanish:
1. You may complete a state-approved educator preparation program, including a student teaching internship, in Spanish and pass the GaPSC-approved content assessment. You may choose to complete a program in Georgia or another state. For a list of Georgia approved programs in this field, please click the “What approved programs are available?” tab above. For more information about initial certification programs, please click here.
2. You may be able to qualify for an Induction Pathway 4 certificate before you have completed an approved program. This certificate is considered non-professional and is only valid for 3 years. Because this certificate can only be issued at the request of an employing Georgia school or school system, you must be hired to teach in this field in order to qualify for an Induction Pathway 4 certificate. In addition, you must meet the following requirements:
· Hold a bachelor’s degree or higher. If your highest degree is a bachelor’s degree and it was earned less than 10 years prior to the date of application, you must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5. If you do not, you may still qualify by submitting proof of acceptance into a GaPSC-accepted educator preparation program or an accredited advanced degree program.
· Pass or exempt the GACE Program Admission Assessment.
· Pass the appropriate GaPSC-approved content assessment.
· As of January 1, 2015, pass the Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment.
3. You may be able to qualify for a Permit. The requirements for an initial Permit are as follows:
· A bachelor’s degree or higher.
· English proficiency.
· Passing score on the appropriate content assessment:
o In fields for which both a GACE assessment and an ACTFL assessment are available, either is acceptable for issuance of a permit.
If you meet these requirements, you may seek employment as a Spanish teacher in a Georgia school. Once you are hired, your school may request the Permit on your behalf. You will have to fulfill other requirements to renew the initial Permit. These requirements will be outlined when your certificate is issued.
To read the GaPSC Certification Rule pertaining to Spanish certification, please click here.